Green tea is widely regarded as a health beverage beyond comparison. There are different ways to drink it. Some like it hot, others not! Green tea comes from the Camellia sinensis plant. There are various types of green tea.
These are some of the benefits of green tea which should persuade you to drink it every day:
- Green tea contains antioxidants which are known to fight free radical cells. These cells can cause illnesses such as cancer if left undefeated. Studies suggest that regular intake of green tea can prevent prostate and breast cancer. There is also a link established between green tea drinking habits and cancer diagnosis.
- The antioxidants in green tea are called catechins. They also play a role in boosting your metabolic rate, together with the caffeine in the tea. A faster-acting metabolism speeds up your body’s fat-burning capabilities. This can help with weight loss.
- The antioxidants in green tea have been shown to lower the risk of heart disease and developing Type 2 diabetes. It can affect your body’s insulin sensitivity.
- Green tea provides support to the immune system. It is rich in antioxidants which help to fight off infections from bacteria and other germs.
- Green tea contains far less caffeine than coffee. A small dose of caffeine such as this gives the brain a boost without the coffee jitters. The tea also contains an amino acid called L-theanine which is critical for brain function.