Your immune system is a vital component of your body’s ability to fight infection and maintain your general health and well-being. Without a strong immune system, your body will be susceptible to opportunistic infections and long-term illness. While there are immune boosting supplements you can take, there are also foods you can incorporate into your diet. These foods contain natural immune boosters.
- Citrus fruits are packed with Vitamin C which is a well-known immune booster. It increases the body’s production of white blood cells which are the ‘soldiers’ that defend your body.
- Red bell peppers contain twice the amount of Vitamin C than citrus fruit. Also rich in immune-boosting beta-carotene, these peppers pack an immunity punch.
- Broccoli contains a boatload of vitamins and minerals, all of which are important for your immune system. They include Vitamins A, C, and E. It is also rich in antioxidants which fight disease-causing free radicals.
- Garlic contains a series of sulfur-rich compounds which includes allicin. This compound appears to be a powerful immune booster.
- Almonds are rich in Vitamin E. While Vitamin C is the famous immune booster, Vitamin E is also essential to an effective immune system.
- Sunflower seeds contain the minerals phosphorus and magnesium. It is also rich in Vitamin B6 and Vitamin E, so it has many immune-boosting properties.
- Shellfish is a source of high concentrations of zinc. Zinc is a mineral that the immune system needs to function optimally.